Locking Fuel cap

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
Baxter352
Private

Locking Fuel cap

Post by Baxter352 »

Hi all.

Is there a way of making the fuel caps secure on an open cab 352 with 2 large filler necks? or any later caps that are lockable that can be used?

Regards

Brian
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Locking Fuel cap

Post by Motto »

There may be a way of securing the tank caps without permanent modification to the truck using a design I came up with to instal on a Studebaker US6 tank.
Unfortunately I no longer have the truck and never took a photo but it is relatively simple. It depends on having at least an inch of parallel filler neck below the cap adaptor. I am not intimate with the SWB large filler necks but assuming they have the required parallel section, here goes.
Procure a couple of feet of strap steel 1 inch by 1/8 inch and curve or roll a section of it to go around the filler neck bending the ends sharply outwards leaving a gap between them just sufficient to insert the thickness of the strap. Drill a hole in each bent out section, about 3/8 inch diameter.
Weld a short length of the strap,on its edge, sticking straight upwards from the rolled section dead opposite the bent out ends. This needs to have an area ground away to clear the tank cap and a hole drilled in it for your padlock.
Cut off a short length of the strap and drill a 3/8 inch hole in one end. This fits between the bent out ends and pivots on the clamp bolt. It will also have to be ground away to clear the tank cap.
Cut another length of strap long enough to weld to the bit that pivots on the clamp bolt, sit flat across the tank cap and with a slot in the end to fit over the piece sticking up on that side for the padlock.
The clamp bolt will need to be tack welded. I would fill the tank with water for that operation or try and find a fastener with a shear out function that cannot be undone easily.

HTH
David