270 frankenengine help

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
akguy34
Draftee

270 frankenengine help

Post by akguy34 »

Okay I couldn't find an answer online but I have a 42 cckw that had a 228 engine the previews owner had installed. I removed the 228 when it started to die and I have a later model 270 I'm guessing mid 50s it has the 6 bolt flywheel and is missing the front engine mount. I was able to take the flywheel housing off the 228 and mate it up but for the life of me I cannot find the throwout bearing that came out of it and was wondering if anyone has used rock autos clutch kit part number 90109? And if the civilian 302 throwout bearing fork will fit the 270?

In conclusion late 270 gmc engine, early 270 gmc bell housing, late 270 clutch kit, and civilian 302 throwout fork. Anyone see any issues I'm not seeing?

Thank you, josh
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: 270 frankenengine help

Post by mudflap »

Hi Akguy34,

The stock CCKW clutch is 11.5" in diameter. The diameter of the disc in the Rock Auto kit referenced in your post is listed as 10". I'm thinking this is going to be a major issue. :(

Also, that kit (pressure plate, disc, TO bearing, etc.) lists out at $80. I am frankly a little skeptical about the quality of parts sold for such a low price. For comparison, the made in USA Timken TO bearing, 1377C, which replaces GM PN 2140122 prices out at $38. Considering how much labor is involved to change out that clutch, I'm thinking this is an area that I would not be concerned with spending a few extra $$ on to ensure I was installing quality parts.

Not sure how many different bell housing/clutch fork combinations were used during those years. CCKW bell housing PN is: 2136148 (superseded 2135505), the fork is: 2082323. Some internet searches, or perhaps input from others on this forum might yield an answer regarding compatibility.

Best Regards....