PUNCTURE

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
bodley123
Private

PUNCTURE

Post by bodley123 »

:( ANYONE KNOW WHAT SIZE THE OUTER WHEEL NUTS ARE AND WHERE I CAN BUY A WHEEL WRENCH FROM
I LIVE IN THE UK MIDLANDS. HAVE A PUNCTURE. OOPS. HAVE A 353CCKW
cckw 353
m38 jeep :wink:
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: PUNCTURE

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Socket is 1 1/2 inches. Special sockets are available on the auction site to do both the nut and the the square inner wheel stud/nut.

That is the best way to go.

Example only...plenty of suppliers out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PTP-3-4-Drive-1 ... 1732731032
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Motto »

The socket will need an extension and bar or rattle gun to be of use and it doesn't address the question of removing the 13/16 square headed inner nuts.
The original lug wrench was about a foot long with 1-1/2" hex at one end and the 13/16" square at the other. A 30" long bar was supplied for use with the wrench. These items were carried in the truck along with a hydraulic jack.
It is not unusual here for the wrenches to turn up at swap meets as many trucks used the same lug nut arrangement as the CCKW. If you need it in a hurry perhaps Rex Ward would be a possibility, he's at Reading but may know someone closer.

David
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by mudflap »

When I first purchased my truck, I bought the GI type lug wrench, with the cross-bar and double ended wrench. As David mentions, they are not uncommon, as the Budd wheel design has been around a long time. Kentool actually still makes them.

http://www.kentool.com/index.php/produc ... nch-detail

The charm, however, of using this tool to remove wheels was fleeting at best, so I relegated it to the truck's tool kit. For working in the garage, I bought the exact socket that Bill references, above. It actually has both the hex and the 13/16" square drive incorporated into one socket. Once you remove the hex nut and outer wheel, the socket slides on far enough to engage the square top of the inner nut. it works great, except when removing the front lug nuts. Mine always seemed to want to engage the hex nut, which would loosen up first, then you had to go back and remove the inner square headed nut.

So, I finally purchased a separate pair of sockets, one for the outer hex nut and one for the inner square drive nut. If you do an ebay search on "Budd wheel socket" you will get tons of hits. Used sockets are actually quite reasonably priced.

Best Regards....
bodley123
Private

Post by bodley123 »

thanks guys for all the tips went to foxfields near stoke 2 weeks ago and met dave harper from nottingham,
and he had a spare origonal for ten quid happy days and thanks for rex ward too need some manifold gaskets backfiring black smoke engine runs on choke sucking air in i think just dies till you pull the choke out. :cry:
cckw 353
m38 jeep :wink: