Rear Trunnion Assembly: Banjo vs Split axles ?

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
b17goinmyway
Corporal
Corporal

Rear Trunnion Assembly: Banjo vs Split axles ?

Post by b17goinmyway »

Hi, I have a 44 353 with the banjo axles and wanted to know if the rear trunnion assembly from a 45 split axle truck will work in the 44 Banjo axle truck. I have been reviewing the Ordnance Supply Catalog Ord 9 SnL G-508, which indicates a different center bracket for the banjo and axles but it did not appear to indicate that there was any difference between the trunnion shaft, the leaf springs, and the mounting brackets that mount the whole assembly to the frame. As for the torque rods the manual showed different part numbers or indicated one for the banjo and the others for the split. Does any one know if what will interchange or what will not? thanks
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Rear Trunnion Assembly: Banjo vs Split axles ?

Post by Motto »

You will find that the contour of the cross bar between the two mounting blocks are completely different to clear the drive shaft to the rearmost axle.
The trunnion for the Timken axle truck (split) has a semi-circular dip whilst that for the corporate axle truck (banjo) drops down steeply from each side and is flat across the bottom.
I think that it should be possible to put a banjo trunnion in a split axle truck but not the other way around due to drive shaft interference.
The split axle torque links are longer than the banjo ones and from memory the top link has a different alignment.
HTH.

David