fly wheel bolt tension

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
taswegian
Draftee

fly wheel bolt tension

Post by taswegian »

Hi i am the owner of a GMC 353 soft top and i am currently replacing the rear welsh plug or i think you refer to them as expansion plugs. I was wondering if any one could tell me the tension of the fly wheel bolts. Kind regards Philip Long Hobart,Tasmania, Australia.
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: fly wheel bolt tension

Post by Motto »

Hi Philip
The Americans usually refer to these items as frost or freeze plugs in the belief that they are there to protect the block from cracking due to coolant freeze. I've seen photos of plugs pushed out by a column of ice so can understand the reasoning.
The power plant manual for the truck you have, TM 9-1802A gives the flywheel bolt torque figure as being 35 - 40 ft/lbs .
My wife and I will be staying with a friend in Glenorchy for a week or so in April. If you PM your phone number and or e-mail address we can arrange to meet up. Always happy to talk Jimmies.

David

While I think of it, I have a couple of NOS canvas covers for sale for the open cab CCKW that were made for the US Army. These are late pattern (top only, the back is separate) with the metal struts each side over the doorway. $250 each.
taswegian
Draftee

Re: fly wheel bolt tension

Post by taswegian »

Hi there David. thank you for your reply and info on the bolt tensions. I did try them before unbolting them and they were just moving at 80 ft/lbs which seemed a bit much for such a small bolt. Would be nice to catch up for a chat when you both are over here, never used this forum before so i will try to pm you about your covers and pass on email addy to you. Cheers and thanks again Phil.