Need Help with specs to rebuild all-wood bed on 353

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
Bailout
Draftee

Need Help with specs to rebuild all-wood bed on 353

Post by Bailout »

Hello everyone... Uncle Sam put my 353 B1 DEC 42 CCKW with all wood bed restoration on ice this summer. I'm looking to pick it back up this fall and next spring. I have good 9 and 15 series TMs to take care of just about everything except the bed. The original bed is just about complete but the wood is pretty much shot. Although I do have the original bed to use as a template and I have been taking meticulous photographs and measurements to help with new wood for the rebuild. Having said that, the wood is pretty swollen (as you can somewhat see from the photograph) and thus I'm concerned that my measurements won't be accurate enough to determine exactly what the cuts should be on the new wood. I've also scoured the net looking for other bed rebuilds and have found some nice photos of a couple of other restorations (including some on this board) to help. Considering the expense of that much wood, I want to make sure my measurements are correct before I make all the cuts. Does anyone know or know where I can get the exact measurements of the boards for the floor and undercarriage? My manuals only specify how to put one together or disassemble for/from shipment, not how to cut boards to make one. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nico
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Need Help with specs to rebuild all-wood bed on 353

Post by Nico »

Hello Bailout,you should have a look at the French CCKW forum,there is a chap building a wooden bed.Search"forum GMC " greetings from Bavaria,Nico