New CCKW Owner - Manuals other than 9-801

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
Bailout
Draftee

New CCKW Owner - Manuals other than 9-801

Post by Bailout »

Board members... Unless there is a major issue, I'll be bringing home a late 42 353 (141K serial number range) truck next weekend. I'm trying to educate myself as best I can to prepare for the chores of ownership. The vehicle is a runner, but I'd like to slowly go through the vehicle and if not restore, at least perform those services which probably have not been done on it over the last several years. Although I'm not a mechanic per-se, I am mechanically inclined enough to be able to perform maintenance on most things, provided I have the proper instructions/documentation (Youtube also makes me very brave).

My question for the group = Other than TM 9-801, what do I need to take proper care of and repair this vehicle?

It appears that 10-1501 may be useful, but I've also seen 9-1801 and 9-1802 may be of use. I'm confused about which one is used for what... I'm thinking that some of the manuals are more user level vs. repair/depot level but don't understand which one is which. I'd also like to know (completely opinion) who provides the best print reproductions? I've seen Canham & Sons Books ~ The Manual Guys, Vehicles of Victory, etc. I'm not afraid to spend money to acquire the right manuals to be able to take care of this vehicle the way it should be.

Respectfully thanking you in advance for any assistance you may be able to render.
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: New CCKW Owner - Manuals other than 9-801

Post by mudflap »

Hello Bailout,

My truck is a '44. I found TM9-801 (1944) for free on many websites. I purchased TM9-1801 (powertrain, chassis & bodies) and SNL G-508 (ordnance supply catalog) from these guys: http://www.tm-ww2.com I was also interested in some of the earlier stuff, so I purchased TM10-1147 (1941 maintenance manual) from the same place.

After you pay, they provide an access code to allow you to download the manual. The scans are pretty good, and they have a nice index feature which helps in searching through the manual.

I also picked up the electronic version of TM9-1802 (powerplant) from some other source - but I don't remember where. All have been very helpful in working on my truck.

The TM9 manuals are appropriate for my truck. They may work for yours - depending on what upgrades it received during its service life. Some of the earlier TM10 manuals would probabaly be good for you to get as well - as they seem to be targeted at specific contract number ranges.

A couple of other manuals that have been helpful are: TM9-1825a (Delco electrical - generators, starters, etc) and TM9-1827b (Bendix brakes). These might be available as freebie downloads if you look around the web.

Of course, there are also a number of real manuals listed for sale on epay - but they tend to go for a lot of money.

It would be nice if there were a comprehensive listing of all CCKW related manuals, along with a description of their content - however I have not seen one yet.

Best Regards...
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: New CCKW Owner - Manuals other than 9-801

Post by dr deuce »

the TM10 manuals were from the manufacturer of the HMV. The TM10-1563 would be appropriate for your truck if it is a closed cab truck. Even if not, the TM10 manuals are best to start with. The later TM9 manuals split out what the depot would do so you need thgose manuals too.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html