12 volt conversion

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
sixbysix
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

12 volt conversion

Post by sixbysix »

So I am looking at converting to 12 volt by using a single wire, internally regulated 40 amp alternator .... am I on the right track ... or can I use something else?... for example a 65 or 100 amp unit? Am planning to connect the wire to the BAT terminal on the 6 volt voltage regulator ..... help appreciated
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: 12 volt conversion

Post by mudflap »

Hello Sixbysix,

I have not personally performed a 12 volt conversion, however the good Dr. Deuce has done many. Not sure if you have seen it, but he has written an article on such a conversion that is posted elsewhere on this website:

http://www.cckw.org/6_to_12_volt.htm

You may want to try contacting him for advice.

For me, I think the most important issue would be packaging - i.e. finding an alternator that would fit easily with minimal modification to the existing mounting brackets. The internal regulator would also be a requirement as well, as it would greatly simplify the wiring.

With regards to the alternator output, the size of the alternator output wiring should be sized accordingly. So using a 65 or 100 amp alternator would potentially require an increase in wire size for all wiring between the alternator and the battery cable junction. How much current could safely pass through the ampmeter would be another consideration since it is in series with the charging ciruit.

Best Regards,
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

You also need to get the alternator away from the side of the engine. Just make a plate instead of trying to mod the original bracket
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
jakub
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by jakub »

Of course it is not my business but why would you like to convert ???
putting up with 6V is part of fun, also there are some gizmos who can make life little bit easier, namely LED daytime driving lights and 6V/12V converters
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

<putting up with 6V is part of fun, > no it isn't for me. When you are 100 miles from home and it won't start for whatever reason and the battery runs down and you can't jump it with a 12 volt vehicle because you might blow up either the 6v or 12v battery, I don't call that fun.

I drive my CCKW cargo about 2000 miles per summer/season and sometimes a hundred plus miles away. It is rather expensive to get it towed/hauled that distance. Because of the distances, I have to drive it at night sometimes. I also have 12v halogen headlights as the old eyes aren't what they use to be.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html