No Chiselers, Please...

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

No Chiselers, Please...

Post by mudflap »

This point is obviously moot for regular contributors of this site. However, for CCKW newbies (like me), I think it warrants some attention.

One of the first special tools that you should really consider purchasing is the wheel bearing nut socket. I have seen them on e-pay, VoV, and other places for around $20 - $25. The use of hammers, chisels, punches, drifts, bar stock, screw drivers or other alternate means is really tantamount to butchery - especially when the correct tool is so readily available.

The person that previously serviced the rear wheel bearings on my truck unfortunately chose the chisel method. As if severely mangling the slots in the nuts was not bad enough, the chiseler also nicked the threads on the OD of the LR leading axle tube. This caused the outer nut to bottom out on this distorted area of the threads, not the spider washer/inner nut. The end result was that the nut/seal (banjo axle) sat too high, to the point where the metal seal carrier contacted the inner surface of the axle shaft flange. This not only ground off the seal, but also scored the inner surface of the axle shaft.

Fortunately, I have a friend with a lathe long enough to fit the axle shaft. After several passes, the scored area cleaned up so the axle should now seal OK.

A new seal was fitted into the nut, and a thread file was used to clean up the threads on the axle shaft, so everything now fits back together as it should.

A lot of extra work that could have been avoided by just using the correct tool.

Best Regards...
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Re: No Chiselers, Please...

Post by retro-roco »

Mudflap,

I feel your pain! My experience was even more "Bubba" then that! Here is what I had to contend with:

It is amazing the work they went to, rather than just repairing it right. It ended up costing me and axle shaft, hub, hub bolts, bearings and seals. Fortunately I was able to grind off the spalled metal from inside the axle housing.

You can read my post here: http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f= ... =rear+axle
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: No Chiselers, Please...

Post by mudflap »

OMG !! :shock: That takes bubbafication (if that's a word) to a whole new level..

They must have figured that if 8 bolts won't hold that sucker, 16 sure will...

Best Regards.