270 GMC engine rebuild tips wanted

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
akguy34
Draftee

270 GMC engine rebuild tips wanted

Post by akguy34 »

I have been working on rebuilding a 270 GMC engine to drop into my 42 GMC CCKW, I’m not sticking to strictly stock on my engine but I’m not buying the latest and greatest for it either. I have a stripped 270 engine and a LOT of extra parts I’m just trying to figure out what would be a good combo. For example I have 8 oil filter canisters and about 4-5 air filters and about 3-4 maybe 5 intake/exhaust manifolds two kinds of valve covers and two kinds of oil pans.
My ultimate goal is to build a dump bed truck with a plow to haul gravel and firewood in the summer and plow snow in the winter
First I have the three size oil filter canisters I would like to hear opinions on the three sizes: ease of getting replacement filters? is the biggest the best or with the oil pressures would a smaller filter more efficiently?
Second, air filters I have the pancake filters that attach directly to the carb and one that attaches to the firewall and runs a hose to the carb is there any real difference? What are the pros and cons of keeping the system an oil bath verses converting one to a dry filter?
Third the current oil pan and pump are the normal depth version, I also have 2 engines with deep well pumps and pans, is it worth the trouble converting it to a deep well? Or even just replacing the pan with a deep well (my thought is more oil in the pan to cool and a place for the gunk to settle were a normal depth pump would not be constantly picking up the dregs in the bottom)?

Thank you for any opinions or ideas,
Joshua Curtis