Gearbox rebuild

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
nige30
Draftee

Gearbox rebuild

Post by nige30 »

Can anyone post some pictures of the gearbox diagram from TM10 1563 or any other publication. My father in law is rebuilding a gearbox and needs a bit of guidance of what belongs where.

Thanks in advance
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Post by Motto »

Hi Nige
I'm not familiar with your manual reference but assume the gearbox you want the info on is the five speed Clark as used in the CCKW.
PM an e-mail address to me and I can send photos of the relevant page/s.

David
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Motto »

I sent the images a couple of days ago Nigel. Did they arrive or have they wandered off somewhere?

David
sixbysix
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by sixbysix »

Dave
do you know if the studebaker US6 clark (or warner) gearbox are completely interchangeable with the cckw ?
sixbysix
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by sixbysix »

further on gear boxes ( and transfer cases) - can you tell me where the breather vent is - is it the same as those on the axle housings?
Motto
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Motto »

The differences are bolt on and you can convert one to the other if you have the right parts. So, no, the gearboxes do not interchange directly.
The major difference is the input shaft which on the U.S.6 is about twice the diameter of the CCKW. It uses the same bearings but of course needs a matching retainer to the shaft. The retainer also carries the clutch throwout bearing which is completely different between the trucks.
Other differences are the gear lever, the Stude lever is more upright than the GMC lever which is bent back quite noticeably. ( as an aside, this difference adds to the tendency for the lever in the GMC to slog out its anti-rotation slot and loosen the peg in its hole(.
Other differences are more minor and mainly relate to the use of studs and nuts in place of bolts.
The five speed Clark or Warner didn't use a dedicated breather to my knowledge. I always assumed that they breathed up around the gear lever.

David
sixbysix
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by sixbysix »

Thanks David
thats exactly what I needed