Sometimes its the simple things

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sometimes its the simple things

Post by dr deuce »

Over the winter, my Chevy M6 Bomb Truck pee'ed motor oil all over the floor in the barn. It was so bad, I jacked up the front wheels and put 2x6's under then so the rubber would not be sitting in oil all winter. As it was too cold in there to work on it in the winter, I suspected the worst; a rot hole in the oil pan. I ordered a pan gasket set and when I finally got around to investigating the situation, I determined that it was just the oil drain plug washer had slow drip. The fix was $6.95 at Auto Zone for a drain plug universal washer set.

Sometimes it IS the simple things! :)
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Sometimes its the simple things

Post by mudflap »

After working on older vehicles long enough I think you can easily get "conditioned" into overlooking the obvious & expecting the worst...

My CCKW came home with a nice US marked brass padlock on the toolbox door. However, the shackle had been cut with a bolt cutter - presumably because the previous owner had misplaced the key. I was thinking about ways to fix it - which included taking it to a locksmith and pay to get a new key fitted.

Several weeks later, my seven year old nephew came over to look at my "new truck". He was up in the cab poking around and said: "Hey Uncle Bob, what's this key in the glove box for ?".

Boy did I feel stupid.... :oops:

Best Regards...