Inner axle oil seal direction??

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Inner axle oil seal direction??

Post by retro-roco »

Ok, I have some NOS front banjo axle inner oil seals (Thanks Joel), but now I have a question. Does the leather lip go towards the differential, or towards the steering knuckle? I would presume towards the differential?? That's the source of the gear oil that is being sealed... and turned the other way, would make inserting the axle shaft difficult, and likely to damage the seal lip.

Thoughts?

BTW, I've checked most of my manuals, and the best I've found says:
Before installing a new seal, it should be soaked in engine oil to make the leather pliable and also to prevent burning the leather before the regular axle lubricant would reach it. Place the new seal on J-I661 Seal Replacer with the free end of the leather toward the end of the tool, then drive the seal in place in the end of the housing, Fig. 12.
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Inner axle oil seal direction??

Post by dr deuce »

If you are talking about the axle seal, I use two new ones that are 1/2 as thick and pit one in each way. You have twicwe the seal and they ride on different places on the axle.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by mudflap »

Hello,

Both front seals on my banjo axle are leaking badly. Pulled the right out last night. The axle shaft has a small wear groove on the sealing surface - approx. 0.004" - 0.005" deep.

Has anyone had any experience with those repair sleeves? If so, how did they work out?

Dr Deuce,

You had mentioned using a thinner seal. The SFK replacement seal that I have is approx 0.500" thick. Do you have a PN for that thinner seal? The shaft surfaces that are inboard and outboard of the worn area look pristine. If I could get a seal(s) to contact this surface, I'll bet I would be good to go.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I wrote down in my book National 6084 or CR Ind 16650 or Federal Mongual 353141
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by mudflap »

Thx Doc.

I checked with the guy at the local seal and bearing place. He told me that CR was taken over by SKF. The CR16650 number cross references to SKF 16650 - which is the one already I have, and is 0.500" thick. He was able to match the 353141 number to a Timken part, which is 0.250 thick. So, I purchased two per side, and we'll see how it works.

BTW, when I removed the axle, there was steel washer stuck to the outer surface of the inner oil seal. It is about 0.100" thick, with an OD just a little smaller than the the ID of the axle housing and an ID just a little larger than the OD of the axle shaft. This is not one of the bronze thrust washers. It was sitting it the recess created by the seated seal - whose outer surface was inboard of the outer thrust washer surface. I do not see it listed anywhere in the parts manual (SNL G-508).

The only function that I can see it could perform is perhaps support the axle shaft during assembly to keep if from excessively loading the seal Has anybody seen this before, or know what it is there for?

Best Regards...