Coolant running out of clutch housing

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Coolant running out of clutch housing

Post by arthur.m »

Hello everyone,

had one those moments when you think about getting another hobby, like collecting stamps. The shop van had been standing idle for about a year, without coolant. Started filling the system, but it just kept swallowing water...I noticed it was pouring out of the clutch housing, thru that little hole at the bottom. After watching the birds in the sky and listening to the wind, I collected myself and started analyzing the problem. There seems to be an expansion plug at the rear end of the engine block, according to my books. Does it sound likely that the plug has failed and is letting the water out? Or do I have a cracked block and the Chinese some more iron for the melting pot? There is surely no way of checking the plug other than taking the engine out and dismantling everything? It's a closed cab truck.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Arthur
cckw L2 Dump Truck, cckw shop van, BSA foldable bicycle
rixtoys52
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Coolant running out of clutch housing

Post by rixtoys52 »

Hi Arthur
OUCH ... I would think that it is more likely a rotted out freeze plug and not a cracked block. Still alot of work to fix but not junk for the chinese yet.
Ken Blythen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ken Blythen »

Arthur

There is a frost plug at the rear of the block, partially covered by the bellhousing (yes, it has to come off too :| ) - this is where the problem will be.
The plug in the cylinder head can be accessed from in the cab, if someone has previously cut a hole in the firewall; but the plug in the block can't (because of the bellhousing).
Lucky you didn't have anything to do this weekend anyway! :mrgreen:
arthur.m
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by arthur.m »

Thank you for the input,

I will have to lift out the engine, it needs a check and good cleaning anyway, but it will have to wait a bit. The frost plug is likely to be the original from ww2, so I guess I really can't blaim it for failing too soon.

greetings from rainy Finland, Arthur
cckw L2 Dump Truck, cckw shop van, BSA foldable bicycle