banjo back axle outer seal

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
jakub
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

banjo back axle outer seal

Post by jakub »

question for expirienced mechanics, the back seals come with at least two materials (rubber and leather) and some variety of thickness, their position also differs as the tightening of ball bearing nut changes the position od sealnut, hence question, with some distance washers it is possible to establish right distance of lip seal extruding over hub.

But what this right distance would be ??? Obviously if its too small oil will get into hub, if its too big the seal will wear out pretty quickly.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: banjo back axle outer seal

Post by dr deuce »

Assuming banjo axles:

Push the axle in with the gasket on it and see if you hit resistance about 1/32 of an inch from hitting the hub. If not, tahe a screw driver and pry the seal out of the nut a little. Make sure you do this evenly or it will leak. Repeat the above process of testing for the 1/32 inch
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
jakub
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by jakub »

Many thanks for your reply, however are you sure that 1/32 isn't too small ??
at present I did have seal extruding for around 0,9-1 mm on one and 0,6 mm on the other, this measurment roughly equals to 1/32 inch and there was oil in the hubs, instead of prying the seal out I used additional washers, as a result I have 1,5-2 mm (1/16 inch) now, I am planning to drive some 300 miles this weekend I will post running report later

then again with so big elements as axle shafts and flimsy rubber it is really difficult to establish right measurment, actually I did measure with calipers without axle shaft, when pressing axle shaft againts rubber the measurment could be little differnt, after all it is not NASA space shuttle but 70 years old truck
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

1/16 will work too. The idea is that if you press too hard, you will burn off the seal. Don't forget to put some grease on the face of the seal.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by mudflap »

While reinstalling the rear axles in my truck, I somehow ended up with one rear seal that sat significantly lower than the other three. It was actually flush with the outer surface of the hub face.

I found some 0.010" thick round shims in the McMaster Carr catalog that worked perfectly for moving the installed height of the outer nut out to where it would just contact the axle shaft.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3088a333/=qdtg3z

The ID of these shims is 2.000", so I had to open them up a little with a file, but after installing three of them between the outer nut and the spider washer, the seal is right where it needs to be.

Best Regards...
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

That is a GREAT way to solve the problem. Better than my way! :) I will have to order some.

The civy trucks of that day with GM banjo axles did not have that seal. It was added after the best way they could without a redesign. The splits have a MUCH better system.
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep