can I use this air compressor in my truck?

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
6x6 Dinosaur
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

can I use this air compressor in my truck?

Post by 6x6 Dinosaur »

My father had a wheelbarrow type air compressor that could run off 110 or 220 volts and it was somehow switched to 220 while on 110 and it cooked. The motor was 1 1/2 hp and turned at 1725 rpm and it's pulley is 5 1/4'' in diameter across and the compressor is 10 3/8'' in diameter. I'm wondering 1 is it even safe to take something driven by 1.5 hp and hook it up to 90? and 2 what is the mathematical formulation to figure out what speed the compressor originally turned at.
rikgerards
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: can I use this air compressor in my truck?

Post by rikgerards »

Just my opion:

I think it doesn't mather what horsepower you put on the compressor. The RPM is...

The ratio between the pully makes the diffrent. A electro motor at 1725 RPM or a truck engine at max 2800 RPM. You need a larger pully on your compressor.

You could use the formula V=Pi x D x N (velocity = pi x diameter x RPM). The velocity at the shaft of your compresser should kept the same as driven by the electro motor. The velocity at the circumfence is 12 meter/second.

The pully of your compressor turned about 868 RPM. Thus far i am sure. I have may doubt about the next step if its easy as i think you can solve the question about the new pulley size with the ratio's like this:

868 Original RPM : 2800 new RPM
10 3/8" Old pulley diameter : New pulley (about 33") diameter

If someone can verify this?

Hope this helps a bit.

kind regards,

Rik
We have our truck since 2002 and have taken it completly apart and put it together in 2 years. See our website for the adventures.
http://home.hetnet.nl/~gerards_j/
6x6 Dinosaur
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by 6x6 Dinosaur »

Holy crap! :shock: I was never good at math. I will ask my dad on this too as the main reason I want to do this is for air horns and tire inflation and thus it can wait. It took alot of begging but I want to get my truck drivable by July so that will be near the end.
6x6 Dinosaur
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by 6x6 Dinosaur »

Here are a few pictures of the compressor.

and tankImage

and unloader Image

I don't know if I want to us the original tanks or switch to something smaller as I have two 2 gallon tanks from a hand carry compressor that I could use too.
Vehicles I own
1943 GMC CCKW [duh!2011 xmas gift]
1971 Jeep DJ-5[my own money]
1926 Ford Model T[16th b day present]