Modern equivalent for rear lug nuts?

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
6x6 Dinosaur
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Modern equivalent for rear lug nuts?

Post by 6x6 Dinosaur »

Yesterday I made my own tool to take off the inner nut for my rear wheels and while it fits and didn't break at all I can't budge the inner nuts at all. I think it may be because the truck was sitting 7-8 years before I got it,the tires are in so poor shape that I can't even drive it to my local tire shop to see what they say and my dad also thinks they will not have the tools to take off the nut as I also tried to fit an impact socket and it would not fit. I'm going to try one last thing using an impact wrench and if that doesn't work...... :shock: I have not planned that far really. I would like to know if there is a modern lug nut equivalent for the rear wheels that does away with the inner nut or do/should I just keep working at it with what I have?
Vehicles I own
1943 GMC CCKW [duh!2011 xmas gift]
1971 Jeep DJ-5[my own money]
1926 Ford Model T[16th b day present]
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Modern equivalent for rear lug nuts?

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Mr Dinosaur,

A couple of suggestions.

Budd style tools (sockets) are readily available on Ebay cheap to remove the outer nuts and inner nuts on the CCKW. A 3/4 inch socket on a bar with an 8 foot pipe as a persuader has worked in the past until I found a great deal on a 3/4 inch impact on Craigslist.

Put the penetrating oil to it to help loosen it up. Multiple times...

You aware that the nuts on the drivers side are reverse thread. I have been there and made that mistake :oops:

The "fire wrench" may have to be used to break the rust bond on the threads. Don't over do it. Several heat ups and cool downs can help. A budd socket on 3/4 inch impact while it is warm can help

I would continue to use the original configuration on the lug bolts/nuts. Loosening and re-tightening every few years will overcome the rust issue.

Good luck.
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
6x6 Dinosaur
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by 6x6 Dinosaur »

Oh God what a dumbass I am! I simply assumed that since the truck was 70 years old the inner lug nut would be some obsolete thing. That changes quite a bit of things and I have an odd feeling my local independent auto part store will have it,if not ebay. And yes I did know the front tires were reverse thread and thank God I have a tech manual or I would have done the same thing. Thanks very much Bill Wolf and I really deserve a Gibb slap for that one! :D [Big NCIS fan]
Vehicles I own
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

Bill's advise is good. Get on eof the combination impact sockets for Budd rims.

The thimbles (inner nut) and outer nust are the same ar the M-35 series trucks. If you absolutly can't get one looose and have to torch it off, I have some late model take off extra's. PM me

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
6x6 Dinosaur
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by 6x6 Dinosaur »

Cat Man wrote:Bill's advise is good. Get on eof the combination impact sockets for Budd rims.

The thimbles (inner nut) and outer nust are the same ar the M-35 series trucks. If you absolutly can't get one looose and have to torch it off, I have some late model take off extra's. PM me

Cat Man
What good timing! I was actually able to get them off today. I bought a budd socket from my local auto parts store about a week and a half ago and I just bought a 1'' impact wrench and a 1/2 hose from my local Harbor freight today and while my compressor could barely keep up it popped those suckers off easy as pie! Thanks though.
Vehicles I own
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

With bigger trucks comes the need for bigger tools :wink:
BTW brand new 'nuts and thimbles" ( L&R ) can be pick-up at your local NAPA...although thier appearance is slightly different from the WW2 models.

Hope this helps
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
6x6 Dinosaur
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by 6x6 Dinosaur »

John V Cliche wrote:With bigger trucks comes the need for bigger tools :wink:
BTW brand new 'nuts and thimbles" ( L&R ) can be pick-up at your local NAPA...although thier appearance is slightly different from the WW2 models.

Hope this helps
John
I think a 3/4;; wrench would have been enough but I used the issue as an excuse to get the 1'' because I have always wanted an impact that big. :D

I think my independent auto parts store has the thimbles and nuts too. I think all they need is a cleaning and they are good to go. I'm a bit worried though, I did strip one on the front and I'm not sure if it is fixable. My dad seems to think it is but I'm not sure.
Vehicles I own