horn contact and cable

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
sixbysix
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

horn contact and cable

Post by sixbysix »

Help!
just wanting to know how (and where) I go about fitting the brass insulator ring and attached cable for the horn to the steering column? DO I need to dismantle the steering box ? Not sure how i am supposed to go about it.
Sixbysix
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: horn contact and cable

Post by John V Cliche »

You will have to remove the stering box and columm and dis-assemble nearly completly to re-place the ring
My experiance has been that the ring has alway remained servicable ,just the wire had to be replaced and soldered onto the ring ( in the special gap ), this particular job can be done with columm in place, by accessing the ring and wire thru the small square opening half way down the columm.
Hope this helps
John
PS your e-mail has also been replied to :wink:
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
sixbysix
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by sixbysix »

Thnks john ... maybe not the answer I was hoping for! :( but still ....
sixbysix
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by sixbysix »

There is a 'slot' in the inner steering column .... just wondering what this is for...?
rikgerards
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rikgerards »

maybe this helps here a picture out of the ordanance supply catallog with exploded view of the steering colum.

The connector 'J' is the point where the cable from the horn wil enter the steering colum. I think this is the slot you mean in your post.
There is no cable running inside the steering culomn. The connector J is insulated from the outer tube and only makes contact with the inner actuel rotating tube. in the steering wheel itself when you push the horn button you make contact between the inner and outer tube and thus closing the circuit.

kind regards Rik

[img] http://home.kpn.nl/gerards_j/IMG_0073.JPG [img] hope the picture shows if not the link opens the picture in internet explorer.
We have our truck since 2002 and have taken it completly apart and put it together in 2 years. See our website for the adventures.
http://home.hetnet.nl/~gerards_j/
sixbysix
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by sixbysix »

Thanks Rikgerard
I have this in my maintenance manual .... My inner steering column though, has a matching 'slot/hole" in it similar to the one in the outer casing - where the contact plate gets screwed in ( I'm not sure if this is 'normal' or the truck has been fitted with a different inner column). I have no brass ring already around the inner column that I can see ( have used a mirror) so am going to have to get the ring on and feed the wire up to the horn button - do you know where this gets soldered on - maybe the upper steering column bearing? It would probably be a help if I could remove the upper steering column bearing so I could feed the brass ring down - not sure that I can do this from the upper column though...? Anyone got an idea how I can remove this bearing from the top of the column .... ? Would sure beat the hell out of disassembling the steering box !
sixbysix