steering box nuts/hinge removal

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
bobc
Captain
Captain

steering box nuts/hinge removal

Post by bobc »

This is the kind of odd ball info you guys love to give out,and it's been making me wonder since I parted out the last chassis. Why did they use the counter sunk nuts on the steering box bolts?? Kinda of trivial but strange. Has anyone one found a good way to pull the door hinges of these trucks? Even out here where rust isn't a big problem I'm having a heck of a time getting the bolts to come out,I soaked them with PB,then hit them with the torch,then used the 1/2 inch impact with the impact driver bit on it,I still broke most of the screws off,on the cab side, the door side came right out. This truck has the phillips head bolts so I got lucky there. Thats another thing, whats up with the two different screw heads,both cabs are 43 but one uses phillips the other has the clutch head. Ok I think thats all,lets hear those jewels of wisdom.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

What do you mean by "Counter sunk nuts"? The steering gears are attached by four bolts with two clamping plates that are bent over one flat of the four larger nuts. There are also four jam nuts used that are used to lock the four larger nuts in place.
Joel
Joel
Last edited by joel gopan on Wed May 04, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
bobc
Captain
Captain

steering box nuts

Post by bobc »

On the two trucks I've broken down for parts the steering box was held on by 4 bolts and nuts,plus 4 jam nuts,but the nuts on the inside look like a lug nut,and there is a plate with two counter sunk holes under them. It looks like alot of extra stuff just to hold the box on.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I remember reading somewhere that in mid 43 they made a move to the phillips head screws from the regular cap head bolts. I may be wrong, but I think it was in the Army Motors series on the CCKW that is offered on this site.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I seem to recall one countersunk nut the last time I took one apart.

If you have ever seen how they mounted the civy steering box (lousy) you will know why the givmint wanted something more substantial.

I believe that the box mounting 1-2 countersunk nuts was to allow it to line
up with the cab (initially) before you tightened down the nuts so that there would not be a binding action. Also, if you look at the cab mounting, it is designed so that there is only a small amount of give onthe drivers side with more on the passengers side and a single rocking pivot in the rear.

Steve AKA Dr Deuce
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I have never taken a steering box apart or removed the one on my truck, but the hardest screws I had to remove were the counter sunk phillips head screw on the outside of the brake drum on the wheels. I ended up having to drill three of them out and use an easy out to remove them. What a task. :shock:
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

I looked at a Chev w/o the steering box.

One hole is clearance and 3 holes are oversized and need the plated to
hold the nuts.

This is in keeping with what I said a couple notes ago so that the box does not 'argue' with the cab because of the U-bolt holding the column to the dash.

Steve AKA Dr Deuce
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html