GOOD CCKW PROCEDURE

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GOOD CCKW PROCEDURE

Post by joel gopan »

Spend more time under your CCKW and less time in the Cab.

Not doing this may cause you to spend all your time under the CCKW.
It doesn't take but a moment to give your CCKW a once over to see if the whole truck is going to move at the same time you let the clutch out.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Each day you use your CCKW, as it is warming up, stand on the brakes as hard as you can. If nothing blows or sticks, have a nice trip. If something bad happens, better to have it happen at your place with the vehicle stopped.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

That is a good final solution for old hoses, but another good way is to practice good PM and replace all 6(most of you have the early set up) brake hoses when you acquire your CCKW. It is not easy to change hoses, because of the hard to get at Jam Nuts located at the inside of the chassis, but there are tricks with wrenches that make it easier, (quality brand Flare Nut Wrenches are a must) and you can hold the front hoses from behind the Backing Plate while rotating the Front Wheel Cylinders. If you put all new, not NOS hoses on, you can expect 20 years service from them. Like General Chuck Yeager says, "why wait for trouble?"
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Thanks for the tips. I always check the brake fluid along with all other fluids and the brake system before she pulls out. Also other things under the truck that may have vibrated loose or may have broken.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Minnie
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

That preventive maintance....

Post by Minnie »

Could't agree moore..
Lots of my friend make yokes aboute my constant checking up underneath the old lady.
As a former amd cav officer I'ts in the backbone - performing constant maint Before, during, and after use...
I do about a 3:1 ratio with minnie regarding maint.
(3 hour driving giving approx 1 hour maint.)

Before my son was born, i drove some 3000-3500 miles a year.
More or lesss with trouble free driving

It has been a little less after...

Santa came by the 21.dec with a nice '43 352 A1.. 'Oliva'
(Original door marking - Right side)
Pic will be posted later..

Sturla
S Holtan

'45 CCKW53 B1, 1619, "minnie"
Minnie
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Minnie »

Pic of the new truck is posted under
Happy new year - Misc. Posted by my friend Roland

Happy new year to you all..

Sturla
S Holtan

'45 CCKW53 B1, 1619, "minnie"
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

>That is a good final solution for old hoses, but another good way is to >practice good PM and replace all 6(most of you have the early set up) >brake hoses when you acquire your CCKW.

No it is a good practice all the time. There is no information in the TM for steel brake lines that may fail. Or a hydrovac that might give up on a hard stop, or the Master cyl. Or a wheel cylinder that might fail or stick.

You cannot check all the brake lines before every trip. And besides, you can only maybe see the outside and only on some of them. A favorite place for failure is the front crossover brake line under the radiator where the 2 clips that hold it down are. Even with a leaking timing cover oiling the area, they still fail there.

Standing upon the brake pedal BEFORE you leave is a simple, effective and reliable method for determining if your braking system is up for a trip.

It is also important to have a back up plan on how to stop, should the unthinkable happen while you are driving; total brake failure.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Fernando Mendes
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: GOOD CCKW PROCEDURE

Post by Fernando Mendes »

joel gopan wrote:Spend more time under your CCKW and less time in the Cab.

Not doing this may cause you to spend all your time under the CCKW.
It doesn't take but a moment to give your CCKW a once over to see if the whole truck is going to move at the same time you let the clutch out
Yes,it is a good thinking.I do it all the time. :D
Jeep Willys MB DoD dec,16 1942 s/n:196275
Dodge B3-B 4x2 1952 s/n:90099559
CCKW 353 Banjo 1944 s/n:309623
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Re: GOOD CCKW PROCEDURE

Post by Chris_M »

Checking the brakes saved me from loads of trouble recently. My truck rested for several month until I took her out for a new parking location at my home. As expected (I know my Jimmy's "special" behaviour) some air entered the brake lines. The brake pedal reacted spongy. Quick bleeding (took me 5 minutes) resolved the problem. So I drove her off. A few miles later. I was on the road at about 35 mph, a small passenger car took me over and placed himself in front of me at just 2 meters distance from my vehicle. Suddenly he stepped hard on the brakes just a few seconds after this maneuvre to drive off to a gas station. I had no chance to avoid him. So I instantly stepped on the brakes with full force. All ten wheels came to an instant halt. Loads of smoke and screeching noises followed drawing long black lines of rubber on the road. It was so close, I almost catapulted this mad driver and his car off the road.

One more tip:
It is very important, that your front wheels brake evenly. Your steering wheel will indicate that by trying to steer itself when breaking. Correct the distance of the brake shoes accordingly. Otherwise your truck may brake out and you will be unable to keep her under control when you have only a split second of time to react in emergency conditions.

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2